Last week, the spotlight was on our apprentices as we celebrated the 8th National Apprenticeship Week (NAW). NAW is a UK-wide event co-ordinated by the National Apprenticeship Service. It is designed to highlight the positive impact apprenticeships have on individuals, businesses and the wider economy.
At Toad Hall, we are proud to have 18 hard-working and motivated apprentices across our nurseries. We recognise the important contribution that our apprentices bring and love having them as part of our team. So, we were very excited to be involved in a range of fun activities in support of NAW. Here’s some of the things we got up to:
- Heidi, our Berkhamsted apprentice, enjoyed a visit to No. 10 Downing Street followed by a celebratory afternoon tea at 10 Downing Street and met David Cameron and George Osborne! “It was good to meet other apprentices from different companies and hear about what they do and how they feel about their apprenticeship.”
- Toad Hall Watford were excited to have a visit from Richard Harrington (MP for Watford) and Nick Boles (Minister of State for Skills & Equalities). We were able to show the good work the apprentices do and Shannon even managed to get a quick selfie!
- A number of our nurseries took the opportunity to promote apprenticeships by visiting local schools and business events, where they talked about what it’s like to be an apprentice. “I love my job and I think that it is the best career decision I have made. It’s so rewarding and enjoyable and I get to gain the experience and knowledge needed for my course. I feel very much part of the team.”(Emma, Ripley)
- We held a video competition for the nurseries to enter, by saying how great their apprentices are. We were impressed with the quality of the videos and had a lot of fun watching them. Congratulations to Shannon & Hollie at Watford, who were crowned the final winners! To view all the entries CLICK HERE.
- The week ended with a celebration lunch (and cake!) at head office for all the apprentices. The event was attended by Crawford Knott, Commercial Director at Hawk Training and there was a chance for the apprentices to win cinema tickets by logging on to our rewards site ‘Toad Hall Rewards’. Congratulations to Carolina (Ottershaw) and Shannon (Chessington) who each won a pair of tickets!
Why choose an apprenticeship at Toad Hall?
An apprenticeship gives the opportunity to gain a qualification alongside working and learning valuable skills through experience. “It’s great to earn while you learn.” Our apprentices are supported by a Mentor who is highly-skilled in Childcare. All our apprentices are studying for their Level 2 Childcare qualification with Hawk Training. In fact, we have a total of 70 staff studying for a qualification with Hawk Training in courses from Team Leading to Business & Administration. Many of our apprentices go on to secure a permanent job with us and complete their Level 3 qualification. We recognise and value the contribution that apprentices make to our business and we hope to continue to offer at least one place per nursery.
Here’s a final word on why Toad Hall value apprentices: “We feel we have been very lucky to have an apprentice work at our nursery, we have been able to coach and mentor her on this journey and already we have seen her grow in knowledge and practice. We are excited to see what the future holds for her. The apprenticeship week made Emma realise how important she is to a working team and her skills and knowledge is recognise throughout the company.”(Katrina Omotoso, Manager Woking)
If you are interested in becoming an apprentice with Toad Hall, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org